Friday, April 10, 2009

Kite Launch Culminating Task

Students were presented with the following challenge:
You have been invited to take part in the celebrations of Canadian Contributions to Flight at Downsview Parks’, Air and Space Museum by designing a kite. Your kite design package must incorporate properties of air and principles of flight that will make the launch of your flying device successful. The most effective and well designed kite will be used as the postcard picture to mark this historic event.

These three guiding questions prepared for their presentation of the kite:
1. What is the history of kite flying?
2. What are the influencing factors and the inspiration in designing kites? (use Scientist in the School workshop; adaptations discussions; blog; Air & Space Museum presentation)
3. Describe the different types and forms of kites (provide images and label four forces of flight that act on the kite).

Reflections & Next Steps:
1. What were some challenges in getting your device off the ground?
2. How might you change your device to make it fly better?
3. What were some challenges your group faced in building your kite concept?

7 comments:

  1. There were a lot of lessons that I learned through out the flight unit. The best thing was when we built kites. That was when we learned about lift, weight, drag, thrust. We also learned about high pressure and low pressure. When we made tissue paper air balloons. I hope I can get another chance to experience this. Dan Yang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned so much durning this flight unit. The part I like best about this unit was when we got to make the kites. We learned so much about flight like when we learned about lift, drag, thrust and weight. We also learned that faster moving air is low pressure air and slower moving air is high pressure air. This was my favourite year of school ever because of al the great activitie we got to take part in like: the lite project, the perspective of avation comic, the trip to the air and space museum and the hot air balloon project.
    Victoria :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This flight unit rocked. The best part was when we went to the aerospace museum. Selah, Salena and I are going to do a comic about what we've learnt in the flight unit for our reflection. Adayln

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the challenges were by running to get the kite of the ground to fly. And to know were the wind is coming from.2.If our kite was lighter it would fly.3.Our challenges is we decide what material type we could use to cover the kite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flight unit was a great experience for me. The bit that helped me the most was the project on perspectives of aviation. That's the part that I will be reflecting on. The place that I am putting my reflection together on is Comic Life. Salim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Ms Tavares, I would like to do my reflection project on how many hands-on activities, field trips and technology is much more better and effective than having to read out of a text book and fill in worksheets all of the time. If I am allowed to, I would like to present my reflection in a digital slide show. I will need access to class photos to do this. Thanks Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Out of all the years I have done science, this was the coolest unit I have ever done!!! We learned about kites by building one; we learned about perspectives of aviation through research and organizing our ideas through a comic; and all of the technology stuff was cool (ipods, digital cameras, scanner, video camera). I had so much fun!!! :)Michaela(:

    ReplyDelete